Henna Visa


“Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration.” ― Thomas A. Edison

The fifth artist on this series is the diligent and humble Henna Visa. It is almost impossible to spot a single flaw in her work and yet she is still consistent in striving to improve herself. A mother of five, an impeccably polished henna artist and a business woman in her own right - she is the product of what hard work and dedication can achieve. Very pleased that she agreed to share her journey to where she is today.


1. How long have you been a henna artist .and what motivated you to start? 



I've been doing henna for 6 years. Hubby pushed me to do something with my talents and said why don't you try henna.




2. If you had to, how would you describe your Henna/Mehndi style?



Contemporary flair combined with traditional elements.




3. Where do you draw inspiration for your designs from?




Initially it was from other well established artist; Kim Brennan, Riffat, Kiran SahibNeeta Desai Sharma, Hennacrone- I still look up to them. Then as I became more confident, I began incorporating my ideas and designs. I use elements we see around us everyday. It could be fabric, architecture, artwork, a walk in the park, anything.




4. Do you have any favorite henna artist at the moment?



All artists have something to offer. Love the ones listed and oh so many others; Darcy Vasudev, Maplemehndi, Bharathi Sanghani - many . I also apprenticed as a tattoo artist so I have many connections with tattoo artists. I also love the work of fine artists and illustrators 




5. What piece of advice would you give to someone who wants to start or is interested in Henna?


Practice over and over,dont give up. It will happen. And if you want it bad enough - motto - make it happen!!



6. Best and worst moment as an artist?



Worst: A bride consuming alcohol - not good lol
Best: Every bride you work on - seeing them smile and getting excited because once the henna is applied it hits them that its actually happening. Also as a supplier - getting great feedback from the natural henna cones they receive.



7. Any tips and tricks?


Learn to visualize your lines before you lay them down. So important. Don't just start drawing. You need a map before you can reach your destination or you will be lost

Practice elements over a 1000 times - and that is NOT a joke. It will become second nature after a while.

Use and inspirational piece you like and recreate it perfectly. This is how you perfect your work. I still have a long way to go.

I still practice all the time. There is never a cap to developing your skills. Just keep your head down and work at it. If you are passionate enough, this will never bore you.




8. What do you Love most about being a Henna artist?


Taking anything artistic and creative and then transforming it into my own idea of elegance.  I love the flexibility - I have five lovely kids and some days - I don't get back to you straight away - I'm being a mom.




Video snippet of her awesome talents below.






CONTACT DETAILS

WEBSITE


INSTAGRAM




0 comments:

Post a Comment

What more would you like to see? All comments and suggestions are welcome. Leave them below.

 

The Authors