Sara Decker (AKA LittleSalsaGal)



“The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” ― William Arthur Ward



I am personally delighted to have Sara Decker - One of the main people who inspired me to even begin henna. She hennas on any object that takes her fancy - be it animate or inanimate. And her pieces are always colorful and full of life. What I admire the most about this artist is that she is not shy about sharing her henna experience and helping others learn from them - a very open minded and generous Henna Guru/teacher in every right! I am forever grateful for that generosity. This blog may not have existed without all the knowledge she has shared. Without further ado - here is her interview!


1. How long have you been a henna artist and what motivated you to start? 


I've been a henna artist for about six years now (from the very first tube of henna I ever got) - My mom was a teacher, so I grew up learning about other cultures, and I particularly LOVED all things India. Particularly Sari's and Henna. Just decided I had to buy some and tech myself how to do it!!



2. If you had to, how would you describe your Henna/Mehndi style?


I would say my style is mostly floral, somewhat sporadic sometimes, because I have a hard time making up my mind what I want to do/use... Hence why I developed Henna Alphabet to help you focus on fewer elements... It helps me create cleaner more cohesive designs.



3. Where do you draw inspiration for your designs from?


I've pulled my inspiration from all over the place. I used to dig for hours on Google images looking at designs, copying some, learning their styles. I also find inspiration in the world around me... Sometimes wrought iron, mosaic tiles, vines, leaves, anything will give me ideas of other things I can do/use.



4. Do you have any favorite henna artist at the moment?



Too many to name!!! But if I had to pick one, it might be Henna Crone, Debi Reiser. Her style and art is so stunning to me. I just can't get enough of it!!! But there are many others I adore as well.



5. What piece of advice would you give to someone who wants to start or is interested in Henna?


Practice the basics... Lots. The 'henna alphabet' helps with that

Copy designs you like or admire - to learn the breakdown.

Imitate the masters first, this will help you to develop the skill of line and balance, and give you some variety

Then start thinking outside the box. Try something new everyday. No matter what, draw something everyday!!! 

Keep a drawing journal, and look back at your progress! 

Don't throw away designs you don't like. Learn from them and make it better next time!



6. Best and worst moment as an artist?


Best: For me, most of it is awesome! I love learning, love doing henna for people... Love creating new designs.

Worst: When I just finished a henna design and they smudge it!!! Grr... Nothing more frustrating than having them  come back 5 min later and say "oh c**p... Can you fix this?". More often with kids but adults do it just as often!



7. Any tips and tricks?



I think my Henna Alphabet is my tip/trick.. . But I also recommend learning to use henna in a cone early on... Develop a steady and accurate hand. If all you've done is draw with pencil and markers , you will struggle when you move to Henna.



8. What do you Love most about being a Henna artist?



I love that in two weeks it  goes away and I can try again! I can always do more, try something different, make something else that is beautiful! : D I love the art aspect of it. And I love that every artist has such different styles. Learning the history and the different regional styles is cool too!


A snippet of her awesomeness!




CONTACT DETAILS











0 comments:

Post a Comment

What more would you like to see? All comments and suggestions are welcome. Leave them below.

 

The Authors